Proven leadership that works.
Accessible. Local Business Owner. Results.
Appointed as Mayor in 1997, I was re-elected in 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2014. My wife, Sally, and I have been residents of Allen since 1980 and Allen business owners since 1986 (Terrell’s Dry Cleaning). We have a daughter and son who both grew up in Allen.
While I have served as Mayor and on the Council, Allen's tax rate has been reduced 20 consecutive years for a total of $0.24. This reduction has been due, in large part, to the growth in the commercial property base. When I was first elected to the city council, Allen was a bedroom community. My focus then and now has been to bring quality commercial projects that will lower the tax rates for homeowners.
I want to see government run like a successful business. The city has 97,000 customers (residents), and I want them to receive quality services in the most cost-effective method possible. The citizens of Allen expect this level of service. Long range planning, coupled with citizen input and board recommendations, make it possible to prioritize and budget for future upgrades and needs.
I have supported and planned for improving Allen's quality of life while serving as Mayor. Under my leadership, Allen has added:
- Allen Station Park, Celebration Park, numerous neighborhood parks, the Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium, Allen City Hall, 5 Fire Stations, 50+ miles of hike/bike trails, the Allen Library, the Edge Skate Park, the Senior Center, Watters Creek Golf Course, Allen Event Center, The Old Stone Dam redevelopment, the Heritage Village, and the Train Depot.
I am truly honored to serve as your mayor and hope that I have earned your vote.
Current Civic Involvement and Accomplishments
- Mayor’s Committee (since 1997)
- Voting Representative, NCTCOG (since 2000)
- Voting Representative, Dallas Regional Mobility Committee (DRMC) (since 2008)
- Board of Directors, North Texas Commission (2011-present)
- Board of Directors, Medical City Plano/Frisco
- Board Member, NCTCOG 9-1- 1 Advisory committee (2012-present)
- Board Member, Regional Transportation Commission (2014-present)
- Advisory Board: Allen Chamber of Commerce, Collin County Meals on Wheels
- Charter Member Allen Noon Lions Club
- Member: Allen Noon Rotary Club, Allen Masonic Lodge #1435, Heritage Guild
- Friends of the Allen Public Library, Christ the Servant Lutheran Church
- Donor to: Friends of Scouting, Foundation for Allen Schools.
Past Civic Involvement and Accomplishments
- NCTCOG Executive Board (2009-15); serving as Immediate Past President (2014-15), President (2013-14), Vice President (2012-13), and Board Secretary (2011-12)
- City Council, Place No. 5 (1991-97)
- Allen Rotary Club, President
- Library Facility Oversight Committee
- Allen Community Development Corporation, Founding Member
- Allen Industrial Development Corporation
- Spirit of Allen Award
- The Big "O" from Allen Philharmonic Symphony
- 21 for the 21st Century Award
- Ron Harris Award – Collin County Business Press
- The Green Award for Elected Officials – North Texas Corporate Recycling Association
- Community Partner Award – Allen Chamber of Commerce